Friday, October 26, 2018

Smart is gone in a decade? Perhaps replaced by a 'super mini'?

I was on Facebook at their 'modern micro cars' group and saw a post about Mercedes Benz ending the Smart brand in a decade. The article link was to one by Car Scoops. It was titled 'Mercedes May Kill Smart Within A Decade And Make Is One Supermini'. It is an interesting article.

I think the Smart brand could have been saved if they made or put into production those concept cars that they showed off. It would have a greater appeal than the Fortwo (just my opinion).


Here is the Smart ForUs. It is longer than the Fortwo and has a simple pickup design in the back. I think it would be more appealing than the current Fortwo. In a way, it is like a Smart version of the Subaru Brat (I think the ForUs is way better looking than the Subaru Brat - just my opinion). 

I found an article on the 'super mini' that might replace the Fortwo and the Smart brand. The article is dated March 15, 2013. Perhaps the idea is being brought to the future?
I think it is a really cool looking design. I think it would be great if it was sold as the next Smart Fortwo. It looks safer than the current Fortwo model (the current model is safe but so many think it isn't just because of its small size). 

Of course I will also include my pet peeve with Smart. I think it was a mistake to not bring the Forfour and the Forfour with AWD to the USA. I think it would have a great appeal in the that category of car; one that is greater than the appeal of a two seat two door car. I think that segment of the car market is crowded (the reason it never came to the USA - per Smart) is there are more looking for that category of car (which is - IMO - why cars companies are making them).





TomLeeM

No comments:

Post a Comment