Thursday, October 12, 2017

smart electric drive Production plant Hambach

I saw this on YouTube. It is the Smart ED being assembled. I think it is very interesting. I think it is very similar to the gas powered 452 being assembled. 

smart electric drive Production plant Hambach - YouTube link.



the 2016 Smart Fortwo ED. One can see the ED logo on the tridon. 

Drivers of the gas powered Smart Fortwo have been asked if their vehicle was electric. Now they can say yes. I have been asked 'how far does it go on a charge?'. I tell them it is a gas powered vehicle and they look surprised. 

It is odd and funny how some people have asked if the Smart was electric while the driver of the tiny car was at a gas station filling it up with gas. 




I found that the range of the Smart ED is about 124 miles. It seems they improved it. I believe it was a lot less. I think this increase in range would make it more appealing. Being a two seat car with two doors might lessen its appeal. I think the range would also be determined by how fast one drives and the weather conditions (hot or cold days) and how many devices one runs in the car while driving. 

Hopefully they will bring an electric version of the Forfour to the US. I think it could have a greater appeal than an electric two seat two door car. It could also carry more too. They decided not to bring the gas version of the Forfour to the US but I am hoping they will bring the electric version of the Forfour here. 

Personally I think a fuel cell powered electric Smart Fortwo would be really cool. It would be faster refueling than it would take to recharge the battery version. One could get a hydrogen station for ones home so one can refuel there. 

I believe Smart had a fuel cell powered Fortwo at one time. I know I saw it online but have yet to find it. It will be a separate post when I do. 
While this isn't the fuel cell one, it is cool and it would be greener if it was powered by a fuel cell. I have seen some really small ones. Intelligent Energy has some small fuel cells (as do other companies but IE is the first to come to mind). IE Automotive
This is one of their products. It looks like it could fit into the engine area of a Fortwo (not easy to tell since one can see how big or how small it is with nothing to compare it with - visually). 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment