Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Citroen's New 'Smart Car'? - Citroen Ami

 I am amazed how some companies seem to come out with a Smart car style vehicles. One would think that with the Smart car not doing so well, the would realize perhaps small cars might do so well in the USA. Perhaps they think it would do better in Europe and Asia where there are lots of little cars since their cities have narrow roads. There are bigger cars - still compact but bigger than the sub compact category - that are no longer sold in the USA (new ones in the compact car category). 

With Americans bigger, people want a bigger easier to get into and out of vehicle. Since I now own a bigger vehicle - 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV, I am realizing why this could be true. I found it easy to into and out of my Smart cars but other cars that were bigger were harder to get into and out of because of the low roof line or smaller doors. 

CNN as an article on it - 'This Tiny Electric Car Looks Like A Washing Machine Costs Just $6,000'

Copied from the article linked above.

It seems similar to the Smart car in size but not really in size. It is symmetrical; the front matches the back so one mold could be used for both the front and the back. It is great for cities and easy to park (good for cities with narrow streets or parking spots that are not easy to find). 

I think it could be a basis for a new Smart ForTwo.  It would be smaller than the older one but could be more maneuverable. It could be even better since it is electric but might not be as fast or travel as far as the old one (perhaps the downside which means it would need a lot of work to improve it - which could happen when technology develops).

copied from the article site linked above.

I think this would make for a great ForTwo interior, with some improvements and changes so it would be more ForTwo like. It would make for a great little city car; which is probably why the previous Smart cars are so popular in Europe. 










PS I miss my 2008 Smart ForTwo Pure and my 2012 Smart ForTwo Passion. It is a shame Smart didn't bring over the ForFour or the Roadster to the USA. I think a bigger (for the USA) ForTwo, the ForFour (perhaps bigger than the previous one) and the Roadster would have done well in the USA. Unfortunately that is just my opinion. I guess there is such a thing as too small for cars; especially for the American market. 


No comments:

Post a Comment