Friday, October 6, 2023

The Urbee Car; a Dream Gone?

 There was a little car that was being developed but isn't anymore. Their website is gone and their Facebook page is inactive. I think it is or was a cool little car. It is - like others like it - had a dream that never came about. I wonder how many cools cars are gone since their dream was never realized for a variety of reasons. 



Urbee Car - Facebook. The last post on their page dates back to 2014. Their website is gone; it doesn't come up if you click on the link. They have a photo where the vehicle is damaged due to improper shipping. I guess it is a picture of how the company looks now. 

It is a tiny car and would definitely fit into the 'modern micro car' category. I think it is really cool that it is (or parts of it?) was 3D printed. I think this makes it unique. 


I believe it was supposed to have rear wheel steer and it would be power was sent to the front wheels. I think this is not a good idea. It is for slow moving vehicles like fork lifts but not faster vehicles like this one. I think they should have gone with the traditional rear wheel drive and the front wheels would steer. I have read articles on how their arrangement would lead to problems. 

I believe it was supposed to be a hybrid vehicle. I think this is unusual for such a small vehicle but it makes more sense than all electric vehicle. I think a gas only version would be really great too. I think there are a variety of small engines they could have used. 


I think the reverse trike configuration is more stable than a trike one. I think it also helps being lower to the ground too. 

I think the design looks stable. It shows the front wheel drive while the back steers. I think they got this backwards. It seems to even have some form of a roll cage; making it safer? With the weight being lower and a reverse trike configuration might have made it more stable. I guess all these ideas are nice but not if they vehicle using it never came about. 














TomLeeM


2023 / 10 / 06





No comments:

Post a Comment